Well... it's been a difficult sort of week.
As good as yesterday, during the day, was with Sam... that's as confusing today was. I know every day is going to be crazy different for some time yet... and I guess the only way I can tell that everything is okay is in the long run the little guy is gaining weight.
Today he's only napped in his bouncer. He's shown all the signs of his that he's tired but he's just fusses with me and won't even be rocked to sleep. Put him in the bouncer and he's out in a few minutes and wakes up 3 hours later to be feed again.
I wonder if he has a mild intolerance to the formula. Fussiness, gas and I don't know where his BMs would fall on the chart of what could be expected. Mylicon doesn't seem to be helping all that much anymore with the night time gas either. Or if it is I can't imagine what he'd be like without it. I guess as difficult as he is during the day.
As much as I hate to do it, I'll going to call the doctor's office and see if I can leave a message for a nurse to call me back regarding the fussiness & gas which is impeding naps (and certain nightime feedings) if I'm paying more for a formula that's supposed to avoid fussiness & gas per their recommendation I think it's understandable that I'm confused by the outcome.
On a good note, the spit up has greatly reduced this week so here's hoping that if it was that flap he's grown a bit more and that's helped or he's just able to handle the amount of food better.
At least I have the bouncer so he can get more than a 20-30 minute nap after he eats. He can typically get a good hour if a bit more in the bouncer. So he eats & we deal with gas as best we can for an hour, a bit of playing on the mat if he's in the mood, and then a nap where he then wakes demanding to be changed and then fed. That's how today went.
Yesterday, he slept the entire time I went out and the 30 minutes after we got home before he woke up to eat. He then fell into a milk stupor right after eating and stayed asleep for two hours to eat again at 4 and sleep another hour. We like the sleepy days as we don't feel so lacking. I feel like I'm messing up a lot. No, I don't have anything to base it on except for the fact that Sam fusses and pushes away and can't seem to get comfortable.
3 comments:
My friend told me that her daughter spent the first 3 months of her life sleeping in her bouncer...with it running. She said they went through hundreds of dollars worth of batteries, but the minute the bouncer would stop...she would cry.
I know you are going to think I am crazy, but there is this stuff called Gripe Water. You have to search for it. It works wonders. My friend gave it to Kennedy because she was so gassey and cried constantly. We tried the Mylacon, but it never worked. The Gripe Water was awesome. I had a hard time finding it, so she had to mail it to me, but I think you might be able to find it more easily now. There are several different brands of it out. Try that and see what happens.
What brand of formula are you using? Have you recently switched? I noticed that we switched Kennedy from one brand to another when she was about 2 months old, her little body couldn't handle it. We took her to the doctor and took both cans of formula with us. Even though the ingreidents were identical on the can, she just could not handle the change. The doctor told us to go back to the one we were originally using. We did and she had no problem. When she was 6 months old, we tried the change again and she handled it fine. (We went to the Costco brand because it was half the price!)
And you aren't messing up. There is no right or wrong. And if someone tells you they never had issues with their newborn...they are lying. Even if it is their 10th child...all babies are different. You just have to get into a "groove" and it will all work out. When we brought Kennedy home from the hospital, we both looked at each other like, "what the hell were we thinking?" I mean, we are both college educated adults. We should be able to handle a small baby, right? WRONG! I will tell you...there were many a times when Kennedy was crying that I cried too!
I know it might seem stressful or hard right now, but it will all come together.
We haven't changed the formula at all. I wouldn't do that without talking to the doctor first. But since I am mildly lactose intolerant and couldn't handle reg formula I'm just a bit concerned Sam might be having issue especially with all the fussing and gas pain going on.
I got the idea of the bouncer because my neighbor actually mentioned that one of her kids spent many nights sleeping in his bouncer as it was the only thing that worked. So I gave it a go and it worked today.
I just have to remind myself he's still itty bitty and it takes time for both of us to learn.
Sorry I am not there to help out this weekend. I wouldn't be much help in my current condition though. One thing you need to learn is to trust yourself. You know what that baby needs and you need even if you don't think you do. These early months are tough and it gets easier as time goes on I promise.
Post a Comment