
My little Sammy was born on Friday the 19th of March at 10:22am, weighing 6lbs 9 oz, and 19 3\4" long.
To say this has been a crazy week or so would be an understatement.
I was in labor the entire afternoon of the 18th at work, not really sure what was going on since contractions weren't consistant but I was getting more and more with an hour.
I still had planned 4 more days of work (I so should have stuck to my original plan of the 15th!) so I haven't done my exit interview or anything and HR has to get with legal to research this as they've never dealt with something like this before.
I won't go into detail about the L&D, except to say my two L&D nurses were awesome. There was one terrifying moment at around 4 am when suddenly my room was filled with nurses and doctors yelling at me to move different ways, the baby was in distress and Jim swears up and down they said to just get the baby out at one point.
Obviously everything was fine, Sam just didn't liked to be messed with in any way. I had all kinds of internal sensors going on at that point too. Fun.
We were home by Sunday and as always the more difficult stuff comes up when you're home away from even semi-access to help.
I had originally intended to breastfeed my baby. I had read the different holds, I knew from EVERYONE I know who's done it that it hurts at the start but eventually (weeks etc) it's very painful but you get through. I hadn't read anywhere about different latching techniques... maybe things would have been different if I had... I dunno know...
I do know that I was torn up completely within a short time (not saying that's unusal) and had skin peeling off. I couldn't even express milk without pain, and yes I had the cream to take care of them... I had practically bought all the Medela side items to make sure I'd have what I needed on hand.
I even had a Lactation Consultant come to the house and spend 2 - 3 hours showing me how to have baby latch (totally different that the hospital & book had shown) Hers was an hour and half ritual she said after 3 weeks would have you and baby nursing without the pain.
See the problem for me was having to "Practice" with my baby screaming for food and totally stressing me out. Sam's feeding technique according to my book would be "baracuda baby" Again not giving any excuse why I didn't go forward...
I didn't intend to be sitting a week after my little Sammy was born to be sitting at home with bound breasts stuffed with cabbage leaves to stop the milk because I just couldn't cut it.
I was bawling and dreading feeding time... that was my fear. That I would pull away from Sam because of my anxiety and physical pain.
It didn't help that I felt JP was basically trying to bully me into my "commitment" to breast feed. I never remember swearing some sort of blood oath, I had always said I would try but from my understanding you never know how it'll go for you.
I mean, I read NOTHING on bottle feeding a newborn and have had to put together a crash course sending JP to the store to buy more bottles, to buy a measure water pitcher, etc etc... Trying to figure out how much formula baby might eat today as not to waist... plus how to figure out how much more he wants and he's slowly increasing.
The pain of stopping I won't go into at all. I had intended to ween via expressing but I guess I hadn't been going long enough and had to ween via breast feeding and well that caused a weekend of intense pain that I put both JP and my Mom through... not to mention the addition hormonal wave that goes with it after the wave of just giving birth hormones.
I felt and still feel very very disappointed in myself... but I had realized after a Thursday night feeding (JP was out) that was so stressful... I realized I have been struggling for so long that I was just tired of it... There was the year of trying to get pregnant when everyone one around seemed to have no problems at all, then all the tests this past spring, then the fertility treatments, then the genetic scare...
I had had enough of continual worry. It's worrying enough trying to learn the cues of a newborn, Is that I'm hungry or I have to pass gas crying? Is that the I'm going no. 2 face or something else?
I decided I wanted to enjoy my time with my baby. I'll never get it back and I didn't want to remember dreading feeding times, I didn't want to remember shredded nipples and poly-whatever it was cream.
I know I'll be looked down on by the majority out there. So be it. All the baby information out there contradicts itself anyway... no one can claim to know what's right for everyone. Yes, I would have liked to get through it and feed my baby naturally but it didn't work out that way, and I'm dealing with that the best way I can.
6 comments:
No one said there was only one way to do things. You have to do what is right for you, don't let anyone else tell you different.
it's true, there's many ways to do one thing, do the best you can do and little Sammy will be just fine. :) *hugs* I am so happy for you both! Yay!
He is absolutely beautiful.
Do not feel about the whole breastfeeding thing. I was not able to breastfeed any of my children and neither was Amanda, she even killed herself for months pumping and never was able to get a latch.
Enjoy him and do not worry about how he eats. Having a newborn is tough enough!
Take care,
Adriana
jeepers creepers! Girl, I don't blame you at all. Just reading "shredded nipples" and "barracuda baby" scares the bejeebers out of me! You gotta do what is right for you. I know so many of my friends that have had problems for so many reasons with breast feeding and finally went to formula. I wouldn't worry about it. Your baby is beautiful and he will be fine as frog's hair not matter what anyone else says. HUGS!
Congratulations on your beautiful boy! And don't for a second worry about the breast-feeding. I did the same thing - said I was going to stick to it no matter what. And then I got home and didn't have 10 extra hands helping to make the latch happen and my boy was a poor latcher anyway. It basically boilded down to me not wanting to fight my baby all day. For the next month or so you will be in absolute survival mode. Love your baby and sleep - that's ALL you need to do :)
Oh yeah - on the formula thing, we always fed an ounce per every hour since the last feeding. Made the bottles on the spot and that helped with waste. Figured that out after overfeeding the poor guy for two weeks and causing incredible reflux issues for him.
PS - this is Jennifer.
Post a Comment